Rhubarb crumble muffins
I spent Monday night clearing the fridge of the contents from last weeks bio box delivery, after all it seems such a waste to let the fruit and vegetables sit uneaten. I just love the challenge it gives me to research ingredients and look at suggested seasonal recipes on the internet. I hit gold with the following recipe, which was a huge hit post dinner last night, and made a super yummy addition to the kids packed lunches today. This one definitely joins my ‘favourites’ recipe list for easy and delicious muffins……
FOR THE MUFFIN MIX
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g rhubarb , halved lengthways then diced (I doubled the amount to 350g and it worked perfectly)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I forgot but the rhubarb still tasted delicious!)
- 125ml buttermilk
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 25g porridge oats (I used grape nuts, and I think you could substitute and crunchy breakfast cereal from your cupboard)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g butter
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases. Stir the sugar and rhubarb together and set aside while you make the crumble topping. Mix together the muscovado sugar with the flour, oats and cinnamon, then rub in the butter until clumpy with your fingertips.
- Stir the oil and egg, vanilla and buttermilk into the sugary rhubarb (don’t worry if it’s a little bit juicy). Now, add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and stir well.
- Quickly spoon into the cases, then scatter each with a thick layer of the crumble mixture. Bake for 15-18 mins (with the added rhubarb you need closer to 23-25 mins) until golden and a cocktail stick poked into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Related articles on Rhubarb (these posts are truly inspirational, I need more rhubarb!)
- Greg Wallace’s Rhubarb Crumble (jjasonwhatsinseason.wordpress.com)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins! (makeabirthdaywish.wordpress.com)
- Rhubarb, Strawberry and Rose Cakes (blissfullyscrumptious.com)
- 5 Rhubarb Recipes for Every Time of Day (williams-sonoma.com)
- Rhubarb and sour cream tart (nami-nami.blogspot.com)
- Rhubarb & vanilla jam recipe – Recipes – BBC Good Food.
- Rhubarb & custard cake recipe – Recipes – BBC Good Food. (I so need a UK delivery of ambrosia custard for this one!)