Day 70 – Apple Spice Cake
It’s amazing when you start trawling through recipes on the internet, that most are just adaptations of adaptations of a celebrity’s version based on an original recipe. I found the following recipe in 5 different blogs, slightly changed, and in most cases claiming to be the best ever apple cake. I didn’t want fame or glory, I only wanted to use up some apples that have been sitting in the fruit bowl for a week, which the kids have begun to turn their noses up at. Uh Oh, I so sound like my Mum. Who once created a pineapple surprise cake, which we all loved, only to discover later that it contained the dry scones we’d all been refusing to eat. It must be in the genes!
Anyhow, it’s now baking in the oven, smells lovely and spicy, and looks like it’ll be a great start to the weekend with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Sssh, no telling the kids!!
Apple Spice Cake
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups
- 1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts optional (I had none in the cupboard so left them out)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Caramel Sauce
- Butter for greasing
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. grease 2 cake loaf tins (or one large round cake tin); set aside.
2. Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.
4. With mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
5. Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
6. Pour (? mine was more like fudge and had to be scooped!!) batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.
8. Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack, and serve drizzled with caramel sauce
adapted from Apple Spice Cake – Martha Stewart Recipes.
Unfortunately no Cauliflower in my Bio box today, so will have to wait until the Sunday market to try out some new Cauliflower recipes……… Keep you posted!