Day 69 – The Cauliflower Wobbles
Last night I curled up under a blanket and finally gave in and vegged out literally, in front of the tv. The 2 programmes I chose to watch were the Great British Food Revival on BBC1 and Masterchef on BBC2.
In the first part of the GBFR, Michel Roux Jr. was focusing on reviving fresh quality bread in the UK (a definite MUST in my book……. after years in Belgium and France, the UK bread industry is soggy in comparison, and in desperate need of more local bakers as opposed to supermarket blandness). But as I have perfect bread on tap from a number of wonderful local bakers in Brussels, the recipes were not going to inspire me to get into the kitchen to produce my own.
The second part however was fascinating. The Hairy Bikers were reporting on how the humble cauliflower had lost it’s appeal in the UK over the last 20/30 years, to the extent that only 4 families in 10 serve it at home! How can anyone survive a year, let alone a winter, without a great cauliflower cheese! So today I’m joining the campaign to cook more Cauliflowers……….
By the way, Masterchef was ok (posh meals in posh london restaurants), but looks much more exciting in next week’s programme when they are going to cook for a circus crew!!
And just to report back on the chicken soup from Wednesdays (Day 67) blog. It out of this world awesome!! I had more at lunchtime today and plan another bowl tonight -> with a side dish of this simple cauliflower dish I found on the internet (to start my Cauliflower campaign!). Yummy!
Garlic Roasted Cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C. Grease a large casserole dish.
- Place the olive oil and garlic in a large resealable bag. Add cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley, and grill for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
Simplicity itself from Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Recipe – Allrecipes.com.
More tomorrow and over the weekend, as I dig further into the life and living of the humble Cauliflower.
inspiration via BBC – Food – Recipes from Programmes : Great British Food Revival.
- In search of a national vegetable (bbc.co.uk)
- Mouthwatering recipes that will change your view of cauliflower (telegraph.co.uk)
- Smoked Gouda and Spinach Cauliflower Casserole (thisissogood.wordpress.com)