Day 66 – Crispy Chicken with roasted vegetables
Opening the fridge tonight full of Albert Heijn groceries, I was a little spoilt for choice, but as we’re all together for dinner at 8, it’s nice to plan something we can all sit down to eat together. Chicken drumsticks are so easy and yummy to prepare, and the weekly quota of bio veg needed attacking, so off I went, delving through my cook books instead of cheating on the internet. Good old Delia Smith’s oven baked chicken with garlic and parmesan is perfect for those snack dinners, combined with roasted vegetables based loosely on a Jamie Oliver recipe. It’s all finishing off in the oven, the smell divine……… now we just need the Hubbie to return from Paris…… Bon Appetit!
Oven baked chicken
with garlic and parmesan
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- 50g butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- rock salt and freshly ground pepper
Arrange chicken joints in a tray large enough to hold them in a single layer. Crush the garlic cloves in a pestle and mortar with some rock salt. Add this to the eggs, and whisk well, adding a touch of pepper. Pour over the chicken and leave for 4 hrs in the fridge covered with cling film if possible.
Heat the oven to 180 deg, melt the butter and oil on a tray. Combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley and pepper, on a plate. Dip each drumstick into the mixture, and then place carefully on the tray with the hot oil. Cover the drumsticks with any remaining breadcrumb mixture.
Cook for 20mins at 180 deg, then turn and cook for a further 20 mins.
- 1 red onion
- 2 leeks
- 1/2 cauliflower, cut into florets
- handful of baby tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 parsnip
- 8 mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black peppers
- a small bunch of fresh rosemary
- a small bunch of fresh thyme
- olive oil
Chop all the ingredients into bite size chunks. Roast the coriander seeds in a non-stick frying pan for 3mins, and then grind with a pestle and mortar.
Leave the garlic cloves whole, and add all the vegetables and herbs to a shallow roasting dish. Drizzle the olive oil over, and toss.
Cook for approx 45 mins at between 180 and 200 degs, turning frequently.
Related Articles (sorry, found so many fab recipes tonight -> and was so inspired, I included the best! Enjoy!)
- Crispy Baked Panko, Rosemary and Garlic Chicken (whatkatiescooking.com)
- My New Favorite Condiment | Sweet Pepper and Pine Nut Relish (persephoneskitchen.com)
- Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic (asouthernkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (theitalianfork.com)
- Roasted Squash with Manuka Honey Dip (cocoaandspice.wordpress.com)
- Recipe for Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan (kalynskitchen.blogspot.com)